This is a picture that I vectorised and simplified. The original image was of a stone faced man. The background is a very gentle pink and the main blue colour is my own mixture. Into the mixture I added Reeves Iridescent Medium, this was because I wanted the image to have another dimension. I painted the blue on quite thickly. It would be interesting to see this in black light. It was a really quick painting because of the few colours used. Canvas size is 40 x 30cm. I liked this outcome.
This is a painting I made of a photograph I took of Fernando Alonso while sat in his Ferarri before the Spanish GP 2012, from the TV screen. I vectorised the image to its simplest form while still (just about) retaining what the image was of initially.
While I was making this I thought of the style as Semi Abstract Vectorised Impressionism (SAVI).
The image is acrylic on canvas (50 x 40cm approx). I airbrushed the whole canvas with a red and then added the rest of the colours.
This was a picture I found on Flickr a long time ago and loved it. I knew that one day I would paint it and this is it.
The canvas size is appropriately 50cm x 40cm. I used acrylics for the painting. I liked the clean look of the initial image and view it gave of the sea. It is the best image I have ever seen on Flickr. The image resonated with me for a long time as it reminded me of a dream I have often.
This is an airbrushed painting of a moon/death star hybrid. I am not really that keen on sci-fi but wanted to airbrush a picture of a planet on a canvas. This was done with 3 colours: Black, white and green. I painted the planet first using a sketch as a guide. I painted the green colour first knowing that I only wanted a hint of it to show in the end.
Some masks were used to create the meteor strike area in the top left. When the main body of the planet was done I cut another mask for the planet to be able to paint the background jet black.
I found it quite hard to leave this one in this state. It feels somehow incomplete but didn’t want to overwork it with too many details. The picture is painted on a 50 x 50cm box canvas using acrylic airbrush paint.
A dark picture that I cannot explain. It was meant to be abstract but not quite as imposing as it appears to be. The black yellow stripes remind me of working in garages, the green horizon is Halton Castle. I worked on the circuit board extensively with gold and silver gel pens, this part seemed to reflect my passion for computers. The whole canvas was rubbed down over and over again with sandpaper and wire wool, almost to the point of destruction, perhaps signifying my overly meticulous nature. Not sure when I finished this as I never reached the point where I said ‘it’s finished’ but it was mid 2012.
This was a picture I decided to do, it was always going to be a challenge because I decided it was going to be large.
I wanted to do a vectorised close up version of my youngest neice Isla, so I started with a picture I took of her (in the bath actually) and it was a lovely picture because it was her looking at my wife Cath.
I was a good photo but I wanted to simplify it as much as possible by converting it in Illustrator to a vectorised image. I wanted as little detail as possible so that you had to view the picture from a distance to appreciate it. Perhaps not the most practical of ideas as it needed a large amount of space to display it the way I wanted but I felt that it needed to be done.
I spent a long time working on the image in Illustrator. I used the ‘Live Trace’ options on the image for a long time trying to get it to as close to the image I had imagined. Then once I had got to as close to perfect I then had to get out the direct selection tool and edit every anchor point and bezier curve. I deleted a lot of the anchor points to smooth out the image to achieve the look I was aiming for.
Once I was finished in Illustrator I then had to transfer the image to the canvas. I printed out the image on A4 paper in a 3×3 poster configuration and covered it with masking film. I was planning to use the masking film directly on the canvas but it wouldn’t stick to it well enough to stop overspray from my airbrush. So I cut out the masks and used them as stiff masks and held them down with nuts and bolts to keep them in place while I sprayed.
A major issue I had was mixing the paints, I used standard acrylics watered down to spray well through the airbrush, but the problem was mixing the right colours. I made a few of the colours a bit too dark but with them being acrylics I could spray over them with the correct colour.
If its going to be simply beautiful, it needs to be simply done.
This was a picture that seemed to take an age to complete, it didn’t, but it felt like it as I was doing other things aswell. Not been in the mood to get this one finished, and with thanks to Mr Cameron I have had other things on my mind. I tried and tried to get the green shallow water right so many times, I didn’t manage to but I did the best I could given my current skill level.
The original image was a desktop image that I liked. After looking at this image for so long it wont be my desktop wallpaper any more.
Given the style this is painted in, it is almost an abstract. The style was meant to me rough and loose and I think I achieved that. It isn’t a style I have used before so it was new to me and quite enjoyable, I saw this style initially on by an artist on Reddit and liked it so replicated it. Finished 14/11/2011
Drawing of the Stonemen of Easter Island (again). I went with a charcoal medium this time, really unsure why I keep returning to draw these.